India is one of the best and highly popular country when it comes to pursuing higher education.
Some educational researchers found that it is because the unique and practical teaching approach that helps the students in their study, while some says that this popularity is only because of the budget friendly lifestyle of the country.
Whatever the reason is, I would like to list the top universities in India so that you could decide that which is the best educational institution that should be preferred for the higher education in India.
#10. Aligarh Muslim University
About Aligarh Muslim University
Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) is a public university financially supported by the Government of India. Originally it was established by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan who named it as Mohammedan Anglo Oriental College in 1875.
Main campus of the university is located in the city of Aligarh, spread over 467.6 hectares (4.676 square kilometre). Now it has three off-campus centres at Malappuram (Kerala), Murshidabad (West Bengal) and Kishanganj (Bihar).
Interesting facts about Aligarh Muslim University
- Motto : Taught man what he knew not
- Number of Academic staff : 2,000
- Number of students : 30,000
- Colors : Green, White & Red
- Nickname : AMU
Courses offered by AMU
Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) offers more than 300 courses in traditional and modern branches of education.
Alumni of Aligarh Muslim University
- Zakir Husain (3rd President of India)
- Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan (Freedom Fighter)
- Mohammad Hamid Ansari (Vice President of India)
- Adre Weil (French Mathematician)
- Anwara Taimur (first and only women Chief Minister of Assam)
- Sheikh Abdullah (former Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir)
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed (former Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir)
- Dhyan Chand (Hockey Player)
- Lala AMarnath (Cricketer)
- Zafar Iqbal (Hockey Player)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.amu.ac.in
#9. Birla Institute of Technology & Science – Pilani
About BITS Pilani
Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS or Bits Pilani) is a popular institute of higher education in India and a deemed university that is also the UGC recognised university. It is basically known as best private engineering institute and stands among the top B-Schools in India.
BITS has established centres at Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad and Dubai.
Interesting facts about BITS – Pilani
- Established : 1964
- Motto : Knowledge is Power Supreme
- Staff : 280
- Number of students : 4595
- Nickname : BITS or Bits Pilani
- Affiliation : ACU, UGC, NAAC, PCI, AIU
Courses offered by BITS Pilani
This institution has three tier academic structure.
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (in Dubai and Hyderabad campuses only)
- Biological Sciences
Advanced Degrees (masters degree), and International Projects.
Alumni of BITS Pilani
- Sanjay Mehrotra (President and Co-Founder of SanDisk)
- Vijay Chandru (Co-Founder and CEO, Strand Life Sciences; Inventor of Simputer)
- Prithviraj Chauhan (Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra)
- Gulu L. Michandani (Founder and CEO of Onida Electronics)
- Sunil Duggal (CEO of Dabur)
- SK Roongta (Chairman, Steel Authority of India Ltd.)
- Sabeer Bhatia (Founder of Hotmail)
- Phanindra Sama (Co-Founder of Redbus.in)
- Padmini Chettur (Dancer)
- Deendayal Upadhyaya (President of Bharatiya Jana Sangh)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.bits-pilani.ac.in
#8. Indian Institute of Space Science And Technology
The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) based in Valiamala, Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala. It is the first university in Asia to be solely dedicated to the study and research of outer space.
It was established in September 2007 by G. Madhavan Nair, Chairman of ISRO. A.P.J Abdul Kalam the former president of India was the Chancellor of IIST.
Interesting facts about IIST
- Established : 2007
- Academic Staff : 100
- Number of students : 790
- Campus area : 100 acres (0.4 kilometer square)
- Affiliation : Department of Space, Indian Space Research Oragnization (ISRO)
Courses offered at IIST
IIST offers engineering undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate programmes with focus on space science, technology and applications.
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.iist.ac.in
#7. Banaras Hindu University
About Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
Banaras Hindu University (Kasi Hindu Vishwavidyalaya) is commonly known as BHU, formerly known as Central Hindu College is one of the (central universities in India) located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
BHU has been established in 1916 by Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya. BHU is one of the largest residential universities in Asia.
Interesting facts about BHU
- Student residential facility : 20,000
- Motto : Knowledge imparts immorality
- Students : 29.865
- Campus area : 4000 acres
- Colors : Saffrom
- Nickname : BHU
- Mascot : Goddess Saraswati
- Affiliations : AIU, NAAC, UGC
Courses offered by BHU
BHU is organised into four institutes and fourteen faculties (streams). Courses are ranging from School to Doctorate level.
So anyone who is interested in basic schooling, graduation, postgraduation, doctorate could apply for the admission under traditional or modern (professional) educational options.
BHU affiliates Schools & Colleges
- Ranvir Sanskrit Vidyalaya, Kamachha, Varanasi
- Central Hindu Boys School
- Central Hindu Girls School
- Arya Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- DAV Post Graduate College
- Vasanta College for Women
- Vasant Kanya Mahavidyalaya
Alumni of BHU
- Dr.Sarvepalli Radhakrishnana (former President of India)
- Sir Sunder Lal
- K.L Shrimali
- Moti Lal Dhar
- Raj Narain
- Rakhaldas Bandyopadhyay
- C.N.R Rao
- Madhav Sadashiv Golwalkar
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan (Poet)
- Bhupen Hazarika
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.bhu.ac.in
#6. University of Delhi
About University of Delhi
The University of Delhi, popularly known as Delhi University is one of the best among central universities in India that is located in New Delhi, India.
It is the only known university for it’s high standards in teaching and research in masses, due to it’s infrastructure and on campus facilities attracts students as well as faculties from across the world.
Delhi University was established in 1922 by an Act of the then Central Legislative Assembly of British India. Currently it is one of the largest university in the country having 16 faculties, 86 academic departments, 77 colleges and 5 other recognised institutes.
Interesting facts about University of Delhi
- Motto : Dedicated to Truth
- Endowment : Rs.30.40 Billion
- Students : 132.435
- Color : Purple
- Nickname : DU
- Mascot : Elephant
- Affiliations : ACU, AIU, NAAC, Universities 21, UGC
Courses offered by University of Delhi
University offers 75 courses under 3 years under-graduate programme structure with few exceptions like MBBS and B.Tech.
There are mainly three classifications of the courses as in :
2). Commerce &
University offers 70 PG courses and also offers M.Phil in 28 subjects. In additions DU offers 90+ certificate courses and 28 diploma and 15 advanced diploma.
University also offers Ph.D courses.
You should check list of colleges affiliates with the University of Delhi.
Notable Alumni of Delhi University
- Narendra Modi (Prime Minister of India)
- Sheila Dikshit (former CM of Delhi)
- Madan Lal Khurana (former CM of Delhi & Governor of Rajasthan)
- Sucheta Kriplani (former CM of UP and India’s first women CM)
- Naveen Patnaik (CM of Orissa)
- Naveen Jindal (Politician)
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia (Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission)
- Rahul Gandhi (Member of Parliament)
- Arun Jaitley (Finance Minister)
- Fakruddin Ali Ahmed (fifth President of India)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.du.ac.in
#5. Tezpur University
About Tezpur University
Tezpur University is also among one of the central universities in India and located in Tezpur in the North Eastern state of Assam, India.
This university was built in 1994 by an act of Parliament of India.
Interesting facts about Tezpur University
- Motto : Specialized Knowledge Promotes Creativity
- Type : Public – research
- Affiliation : UGC
Courses offered by Tezpur University
The university has four schools of studies which is divided into 21 departments and three special academic centres.
Four school of studies are classified as :-
1). School of Sciences
2). School of Humanities & Social Sciences
3). School of Management Sciences
4). School of Engineering
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.tezu.ernet.in
#4. University of Hyderabad
About University of Hyderabad
The University of Hyderabad that is also known as Hyderabad Central University. It is an Indian public research university located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Established in 1974, this campus has capacity of more than 5,000 students and 400 faculty from several disciplines.
Interesting facts about University of Hyderabad
- Motto : Education results in liberation
- Type : Public
- Campus : 2300 acres
- Affiliations : UGC, NAAC, AIU, ACU
Courses offered by University of Hyderabad
The university is primarily a post-graduate research university. Beside that University of Hyderabad conducts its own entrance examinations for all courses during the month of February each year.
University offers integrated M.Sc, M.A, M.Sc, M.F.A, M.Tech, M.B.A, M.C.A, M.Phil and Ph.D degree. This is an UGC recognized university and strongly follows the guidelines of University Grant Commission.
Alumni of University of Hyderabad
- Girish Agarwal, FRS (Fellow of the Royal Society)
- M Sridhar Babu (former Minister, Govt of Andhra Pradesh)
- Goverdhan Mehta, FRS
- Shanta Sinha, Ramon Magsaysay Award winner
- Rohit Vemula, Dalit activist
- Bhatti Vikramarka
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.uohyd.ac.in
#3. Jawaharlal Nehru University
About Jawaharlal Nehru University
Jawaharlal Nehru University, popularly known as JNU is a public central university in New Delhi, the capital of India. In 2012 JNU was awarded a grade of 3.9 out of 4 from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council. It was highest grade given ever to any university of India.
JNU is one of the top universities in India got ranked second in the country by India Today in year 2010.
Interesting facts about JNU
- Established : 1969
- Type : Public
- Academic staff : 650
- Administrative staff : 1276
- Students : 8309
- Affiliations : UGC, NAAC, AIU
Courses offered by Jawaharlal Nehru University
JNU was famous for research related courses but now it offers almost all the traditional and modern educational topics through it’s regular or distance mode of learning around the country.
Institutions recognized and accredited by JNU in India
- Army Cadet College, Dehradun
- College of Military Engineering, Pune
- Military College of Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, Secunderabad
- Military College of Telecommunication Engineering, Mhow
- National Defence Academy, Pune
- Naval College of Engineering, Lonavala
IAS Administration and Civil Services
- Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie
Research and Development Institutions
- Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad
- Inter-University Accelerator Centre (IUAC), New Delhi
- Institute of Microbial Technology (IMT), Chandigarh
- Central Institute of Medicinal-and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow
- Raman Research Institute (RRI), Bangalore
- National Institute of Immunology (NII), New Delhi
- National Institute of Plant Genome Research (NIPGR), New Delhi
- International Centre for Genetic-Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi
- Centre for Development Studies (CDS), Thiruvanathapuram
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomu and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune
- Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI), Gurgaon
Alumni of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Abhay Kumar (diplomat, Ministry of External Affairs India)
- Ajit Seth (Indian Civil Servant, Cabinet Secretary of Republic of India)
- Ali Zeidan (Prime Minister of India)
- Amitabh Rajan (Indian Civil Servant, Home Secretar of Government of Maharashtra)
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar (Foreign Secretary of India)
- Anjali Gopalan (Executive Director of the Naz Foundation (India) Trust)
- Devapriya Roy (auhor of multiple novels)
- Gaiti Hasan (microbiologist)
- Harun Rashid Khan (Deputy Governor, RBI)
- Palagummi Sainath (Journalist)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.jnu.ac.in
#2. Institute of Chemical Technology
About Institute of Chemical Technology
Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) that was formerly the University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT) is a premier chemical technology research institute located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
It was established in 1933 and was granted deemed university in 2008. It is the only state funded deemed university in India.
Interesting facts about Institute of Chemical Technology
- Motto : Nurturing Brains, Developing Minds towards a developed India
- Type : Public
- Academic staff : 1275
- Students : 2300
- Campus area : 16 acres
- Nickname : ICT
Courses offered by ICT, Mumbai
Institute of Chemical Technology focuses on training and research in various branches of chemical engineering, chemical technology, and pharmacy.
Notable Alumni of ICT, Mumbai
- Mukesh Ambani (Chairman and Managing Director, Reliance Industries Ltd.)
- Anant Pai (educationist, creator of Amar Chitra Katha & Twinkle series)
- Kallam Anji Reddy (founder Dr. Reddy’s Labs)
- Narotam Sekhsaria (MD Ambuja Cements Limited)
- Homi Sethna (former chairman Atomic Energy Commission)
- Srinivas (South Indian Playback Singer)
- Ashwin Dani (VC Asian Paints)
- V.G. Rajadhyaksha (Chairman, Hindustan Level Ltd.)
- Indravardhan Modi (founder director & chairman, Cadilla Healthcare)
- Madhukar Shah (chairman and MD, Pidilite Industries)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.ictmumbai.edu.in
#1. Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
About Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
Indian Institute of Science that is popularly known as IISc is a public university for scientific research and higher education located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Due to active support from Jamsetji Tata and H.H. Sir Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the Maharaja of Mysore it is also locally famous as the Tata Institute. In 1958 IISc became the deemed university.
Interesting facts about Indian Institute of Science
- Established : 1909
- Type : Public
- Founder : Jamsetji Tata
- Location : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Courses offered in IISc
Courses offered by IISc could be mainly classified into two categories like :-
1). Degree by research : Ph.D, Integrated Ph.D, BS and MS
2). Degree by coursework : ME/M.Tech/M.Mgt/MDes
Famous Alumni of IISc
- Lakshmi Narayanan (vice chairman and ex-CEO of Cognizant)
- Dr. V.K.Aatre (Scientist and former had of DRDO)
- Narayanaswamy Balakrishnan (aerospace and computer scientist)
- Somnath Bharadwaj (Indian theoretical physicist)
- Rajagopala Chidambaram (Indian Physicist)
- Ramesh Datla (Industrialist and MD of Elico Limited)
- P.K.Kelkar (founding director of IIT Kanpur)
- Michael Lobo (Scientist, Writer and Genealogist)
- Shekhar C. Mande (Structural and Computational Biologists)
- Sudha Murthy (Social Worker & Writer in Kannada and English)
For other details like academic updates or recruitment notifications you should check the official website at www.iisc.ernet.in
Above listed top universities in India is based upon the latest report submitted by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2016.